Thursday, December 18, 2014

KITCHEN UTENSIL RACK FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

All of the hanging utensil racks that I found on the internet were designed for houses that do not roll down the highway.  Any utensils placed on them would cause an unnecessary ruckus whacking against each other and the wall or cabinet behind them, and maybe even get bounced off entirely, if installed in an RV.
Oh hell no - you do not want anything like these in a motorhome!

Screengrabbed from Google image search.    
Therefore, I had to create my own silent version.
That's a four-dollar small sink mat screwed to the inside of the cabinet door.  Short pieces of common sewing elastic are fed through the grid pattern of the mat and knotted to form loops.  The the utensils are fed into the loops.  The mat is a soft polymer such that vehicle shaking will not cause the utensils to make any noise bumping up against it.  The elastic also holds them more tightly in place than an ordinary hanging rack would.  
The beauty of this system is that you can re-position the knotted elastic loops if you later decide that you wish to accommodate a different set of utensils or tools.  I left the tails of the elastic pieces long in case I later need to re-tie them during the process of affixing larger items.   
Here's the sink mat that I used.
Items like this are sold in home decor and home improvement stores.  This is the Sink Works Euro sink mat.  
The elastic was similar to this.
Screengrabbed from this Amazon listing.  It's about four bucks but this project only consumed a tiny fraction of it. 
Here are the basic installation instructions:
Here are the basic tools.  That green handled thing is a punch tool for making holes in the sink mat.  That's not really required, though, as the drill can do it.  
Select screws that are not as deep as your cabinet door is thick.  
I was doing this as a one-person project (no helper), so I first masking-taped the sink mat to the inside of the door to hold it in place while I affixed three screws along the top and two along the bottom.

LOL - you can see that my top screws are not very straight.  This was my third Interstate project of the day (the other two were the ART FOCAL WALL and the COROPLAST PRIVACY SCREEN) and I was fatigued by this point!!
Oh, BTW, I also tape my drill bit so that I won't overdrill and accidentally punch through to the front side of the cabinet door.  That Would Be Bad!!!  
As usual, this is a noncommercial post presenting personal opinions only.  No retailer provided any consideration in exchange for being cited.
If you can't find the product you need in the market, invent one of your own.
:-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment