Monday, November 30, 2015

OVERSIZED CUP HOLDER FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

My husband had forbidden my idea of drilling holes into the cabinetry of our Class B RV Airstream Interstate so that I could install one of those large flip-down cup holders.  Fortunately, his objection forced me to come up with a more versatile and creative option for holding my beloved YETI 30 ounce Rambler.
When what to my wondering eyes did appear but this Amazon Lightning Deal:  The two Ogres Essential-Z chalk bag, the type of device used by mountain climbers and weight lifters to hold the chalk that keeps their hands from slipping.  
You might wonder why on earth I would form an association between these two entirely-unrelated consumer products.  The answer is simple:  Because Yeti is asleep at the wheel and so is the aftermarket, to the point where both Yeti-branded and knock-off accessories are nonexistent at this time.  I had been searching for a 30-ounce tumbler carrying means for months, and it was only by chance that this Lightning Deal appeared on my computer screen and I was able to see the resemblance between the two products.

It's not as trivial an issue as you might think.  Like an increasing number of Texans who live in scorching hot weather for most of the year, I rarely leave my house without this Texas-designed Yeti tumbler in tow.  But I'm always fumbling with it, wishing I had an extra hand, or wishing I could stash it somewhere convenient.
I can now wear my 30-ouncer hands-free in this cross-body style!  I've been waiting a long time for this. 
And here's how it looks when hanging in our Airstream.  You simply cinch the belt part around the upper part of the bag and loop it over a portable cabinet hook, in this case the Lynk Over Cabinet Door Hook.

Incidentally, that Rubbermaid hanging holder product visible at photo right is called a Vent Catch-All and is available in Walmart for about five bucks.  It's the perfect size for my daughter's Perrier bottles and my husband's soda bottles, but it's much too small for my Yeti.  
Here's the beauty of this adaptation versus a conventional flip-down jumbo cup holder which would have to remain fixed in one place.
I can re-position that cabinet hook wherever I want or need it to be, in both my RV and my home. 
In the RV, I can even hang it from the small stopper bottom ledge that is located inside the upper cabinets.  Placed this way, the straw is exactly at mouth height.  Pretty convenient if I have my hands full with small-space cooking on that little SMEV propane stove you see there.

For those of you who are extra observant, yes, that's a Buc-ees beaver magnet on the wall at photo right.   
Anyway, if you want this two Ogres Essential-Z chalk bag, you might want to order it soon.  When word gets around of this unexpected use, I think they'll fly off the shelves just as fast as the Yetis themselves (according to repeated reports on social media, there are times when Yeti tumblers become impossible to buy in greater Houston due to supply bottlenecks).  

No comments:

Post a Comment