Saturday, November 17, 2018

FLOR CARPET TILES FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE, PART 2: ATTACHING

See Part 1 for a description of why I chose Flor carpet tiles for our van.

Given that I want these tiles to essentially constitute three free-floating mats, I decided to try 2 mm cable ties to lash them together at the corners.   That process went like this:

Arrange the visual pattern, flip the tiles over, and mark the drilling locations.
The carpet backing is so dense that I don't think they will pull apart even if force is put on them.

I fitted a cable tie to figure out which was the optimal drill bit size, given that I need the ties to lay flat.
Drill, baby, drill.
The snippers are pointing directly at one of the cable tie heads inserted and looped through these holes.  Can you see it?
Probably not - it's a disruptive carpet pattern with black in it.  Plus I can kind of "fluff" some carpet fibers over the cable tie where it emerges on the front side.  
You are probably wondering about the obvious question: if we step on those cable tie heads in bare feet, won't it hurt?

For the two sets of three Flor tiles bound together down the center of the van, this is not likely to be a problem because the ties are pushed to the absolute edges of the carpet tiles.  That leaves the pair in front of the slider door as possible issue in this regard.  I stepped on a head in bare feet, and while I could feel the head, the carpet cushioned the experience, and it wasn't like stepping on a pebble or anything.

I had to trim the fore-most (as opposed to aft-most) pair to size, and Airstream's squaring of the cabinetry opposite the sliding door was atrocious.
It was off-square by 1.5 cm over a span of just 19.7".  
But I was able to fit the area by measuring carefully and cutting the carpet tile with a razor blade.
Wide angle GoPro shot from above.  Freakish.
It's hard to tell from the wide angle, but the Flor tiles are virtually identical to the width of the wet bath door.  The placement was obvious.

Anyway, these groupings are fairly heavy now that they are cable-tied together - they tend not to slide around.  Next I will road test this assemblage and see if they need any additional measures to keep them in place. 
Another wide angle shot.

2 comments:

  1. Just curious - why not simply use the adhesive "dots" that Flor sells to hold the various tiles together? Our entire MCM house is done with Flor, and those things just don't budge (or come apart easily - and it's been 11 years.)

    I enjoy the blog and your resourcefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want them to be semi-permanent. The van gets very dirty, so I want to be able to pull them up routinely for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete