Sunday, June 19, 2016

STORING REFLECTIX SHADES IN THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

In this previous post, I talked about cutting Reflectix inserts for our Airstream Interstate windows.  Upon verifying that they assist with heat control as well as providing a black-out method during stealth camping, I decided to keep them permanently in the vehicle.  That being the case, I needed a method for storing all of them, and stacking them on top of the fresh water tank was not cutting it.  It worked, but (a) I want to use that space for other things, and (b) there was too much awkward rummaging every time I had to dig a specific piece out.  I am not a fan of rummaging.

Inspired by Instagrammer @wheninvan, a Sprinter DIYer who appears to have used Reflectix exclusively for window coverings (not just for inserts, and his looked surprisingly good), I simply did what I had originally done for our windshield cover - I inserted Velcro strips behind key finishing screws in the interior, and used them to secure the rolled up Reflectix covers, as follows.
Here is one such screw securing a trim piece adjacent to the port side rear door.  
Use an awl or similar tool to poke a hole in the Velcro piece. 
Unscrew, insert Velcro, replace screw and its plastic finishing cap.  
And here's the result of following this procedure for the rear door and side windows.
I think it looks cool!  Almost like decor.  It certainly matches the style of the Interstate.  Initially I thought that this might end up looking too cluttered, but I like it. 
For the galley window and sliding door window, I took a slightly different approach because there were no convenient trim piece screw attachments near those.
I put an adhesive-backed patch of Velcro on the strips that cinched the Reflectix into a roll...

...and stuck them above the head-knocker that lines the top of the sliding door.  You can see the original large windshield reflector by Heatshield on the ceiling at photo left.  At that location, there were convenient screws in the joinery between the cab liner and the aluminum inner finish.  
Not only is this convenient, it maintains the corresponding Reflectix insert right next to the corresponding window.  The whole time I was doing this project, I was reminded of the 1995 Meg Ryan movie "French Kiss" where she says, "Use the corresponding face for the corresponding emotion."  For as long as these pieces were all stacked on top of the fresh water tank, it was always a pain to figure out which piece of Reflectix was supposed to correspond to which window, because the Velcro dots on each Reflectix only match to the windows one way.  Problem now solved.
Of course, I would not blame you if you did not recognize the "corresponding face" line.  It certainly was not the most famous line to originate with a Meg Ryan movie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment