Monday, May 15, 2017

STEINHAGEN DAM B, REVISITED

Just a couple of pics of the US Army Corps of Engineers campground known as Sandy Creek Park, because I've posted about it before, almost two years ago.  The real treat in this blog post comes at the very end.
View from my back door, before sunset. 
There's the beginning of the sunset, and my Live Infinitely hammock.  
It was a show-stopper, I tell you, but not as much of a showstopper as this next bit.
Here's what you need to do for full authentic effect.  View this on a computer system (not a phone) with full stereo sound.  Turn up the volume until the bird song in the background is as loud as you would expect if you'd been there in person.  The alligator vocalizations at that point will be as loud as they were in real life.  Replay the video if necessary, because the first big vocalization happens at the two second mark.

You can also see the larger of the two gators for about half of the clip.  He's way out in the water to center left, about half way down, between the horizon and the shore.  You can see him moving but then my iPhone refocused on my rear door no-see-um screen, and the view of the critter was lost at that point.

This is why I like camping in a van, instead of in a tent on the ground.  I can sit up in bed and slam that rear door shut if I need to.  For a few moments this morning as I was figuring out what all this ruckus was that was transpiring around me, I thought I'd need to be slammin'.  That's a HUGE gator to be making that intensity of noise.  There are gator warning signs posted in this park.  This is why.



No comments:

Post a Comment