|Michaels also has a lot of other cool organizational stuff - I got these little bins on sale for 99 cents each and hung them from the spice rack bar using Velcro.|
Monday, February 16, 2015
I literally did the Happy Dance in the middle of Michaels craft store when quite by accident I found this large art tote (I went in there to get my husband a decoupage tool for smoothing air bubbles out of some Dynamat and radiant barrier we were installing in our Interstate's cab above the liner).
As always, this is a noncommercial post presenting personal opinions only. No retailer has provided any consideration in exchange for being cited.
Wednesday, February 4, 2015
Much to our exasperation, we recently discovered the same apparent design flaw with our black water tank as took us quite some time to DIY-re-engineer with our gray water tank (see launch page for that project here).
Anyway, this was a pretty quick fix for us specifically because we had spent so much time and effort fixing our gray water tank. In many respects, it was same "stuff", different day.
To make a long story short, we cleaned up the port in the black water tank much the same way we had done for the gray water tank, and added the same type of rubber gasket at the join. And then, because this was simply an air vent that would be relatively insensitive to pipe configuration, we fabbed a repair using common materials, including a flexible splitter.
|I have no idea how Airstream was trying to attach this pipe or why they were using the method(s) that they did.|
|Very challenging working conditions, obviously. On our model of Interstate, the gray water tank is slung beneath the chassis, but the black water tank is located inside, right behind the commode and underneath the refrigerator.|
|Here is the scene with the joint section cut away.|
Sunday, February 1, 2015
|This is the shoe bag of which I speak. The pockets were the right dimensions for dry goods storage in a confined space. I had to wait more than a month to receive it because it was backordered. It's a good shoe bag and apparently a lot of folks want them.|
|And this was the cabinet that I needed to retrofit. It is located directly above the stove and sink, and is 31 inches wide.|
The fabrication sequence for this project is described in the photos to follow.
|The nylon shoe bag was four pockets across or 19 inches wide, whereas the cabinet was 31 inches wide. That meant that a six pocket array would fit best in the space.|
|Notice how I oriented the pins back-end pointing to myself so that I'd be able to pull them out while sewing.|
|For the top edge of the shoe pocket array, I used an ordinary adjustable shelf mounting track available at any big-box hardware store. And I used a hack saw to cut it down to the correct size.|
|The idea is to sew a receiving pocket in the top edge of the shoe pocket array, much the same way as you'd sew a pocket in the top of a drapery panel to receive the hanging rod.|
|View from farther out, pre-pocket sewing. You get the idea.|
|Close up of the finished pocket. The piece of shelf track just slides in.|
|In order to have better access to the work area, I temporarily removed the front facing from the cabinet. It unscrews on the back.|
|The final result, unstuffed (tap to expand the photo). You can see that the bottom edge is tacked at each seam confluence using the tiny screws.|
|Final result with goodies inserted.|